This Valentines Day I have a surprise for my boyfriend. I booked a hotel and we are going to eat at one of our favorite restaurants. It’s not really a gift that you can hold or eat, and I kept thinking: how am I going to tell him about the surprise? And than I got it, fortune cookies! How cute is it to tell your love about a planned trip with fortune cookies?
When he got the cookies he was really surprised. Especially because it isn’t Valentines Day yet. But I needed to give them today because we are leaving tomorrow morning. He loved it! So we are going to have two beautiful days in Groningen this weekend!
Get the recipe for these fortune cookies after the jump. . .
Ingredients for six fortune cookie
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 40 grams of sugar
- 40 grams of flower
- pinch of salt
- butter (for greasing)
Fortune cookies recipe
- Preheat the oven at 200 degrees Celsius (about 400 degrees F). Grease a baking sheet with butter. Cut strips from about 10 cm width (about 4 inch) and a centimeter high (about 2/5 inch). Write down a message for your lover and fold the pieces in two.
- Put the egg white with the salt and the extracts in a bowl and whisk until foamy. Put in the rest of the ingredients and mix again.
- Put a table spoon of the mixture on your baking sheet and spread it out with the back of your spoon until you have a nice large circle. I made two each time, because you don’t have much time to fold the cookie when the sheet is out of the oven.
- The cookies are ready after about 5 minutes of baking. The rims should be golden brown and the center should still be white. Get the cookies out of the oven. Remove the first cookie from your baking sheet with a spatula and place a piece of paper in the middle. Fold the cookie in half and place the folded edge across the rim of a cup. Pull the sides down, one on the outside of the cup and one on the inside.
- Place the fortune cookies in a muffin tin to cool off. This way your cookies will stay in shape
Bon Appetit! XO Wilma