I love mirrors. Not because I feel the need to look in it all day long, but because they come in so many pretty designs. They also make a room look bigger, so that’s a big plus too! I already have a large collection of mirrors but there was one in particular that I still wanted: a sunburst mirror.
I fall in love every time I see them on Pinterest. But unfortunately they are really expensive and I never see them in thrift stores. So for a while now, I was thinking about doing a great DIY version of a sunburst mirror. And when I saw this plastic silver cutlery set I knew it would work for this project. This sunburst mirror is super easy to make and really budget friendly. But the most important is that it looks absolutely amazing!
What you need for these DIY sunburst mirrors
- Silver disposable cutlery
- 2 small round mirrors (I used makeup- / shaving mirrors)
- glue gun
- greaseproof paper
How to make a DIY sunburst mirror
1. Break 16 forks, 16 knives and 12 spoons in two pieces. The breaking point thus should be approximately at the end of the handle. You can trow out the upper half of the knives and the forks, the spoons will be used in its entirety.
2. This is the first sunburst mirror that you will make. For this one you will use the handles of the knives and the forks. The fun part of the cutlery set is that the knives have a flat handle and the forks, a slightly curved handle. This can vary nicely around your mirror. Start with the forks. Put some glue on the first handle at 12 o’clock, the second at 3 o’clock, the third at 6 o’clock and the last at 9 o’clock. Use your glue gun for this.
3. Place a fork handle exactly between the previously placed handles. Repeat this until you have glued down all of the 16 fork handles. Now you can put in the knife handles between the already glued down fork handles. Make sure these are slightly lower than the fork handles so you get a nice sunburst mirror effect.
4. For the second sunburst mirror you use the spoons. Start with the handles glue the first down at 12 o’clock, the second at 3 o’clock, the third at 6 o’clock and the last at 9 o’clock. Now place between the handles you’ve already glued down, another two handles. It basically comes down to a handle for every hour of the day. Now glue down the upper part of the spoons between the handles.
You sunburst mirror is now ready to be hung. The mirrors that I use for this project are magnifying mirrors, but because I use them as a decoration piece it doesn’t really bother me. I’m super happy with how this project turned out and I am super curious about what you think about this project. Please let me know in the comments below!