My couch was in desperate need of some new pillows. I wanted some color in my home and I thought making some colorful pillow covers would just do the trick. Of course I will add more color in the near future but this was a really nice project to start. These pillow covers are the quickest and easiest pillow covers you have ever made. They are also removable for washing!
Read how to make these easy peasy pillow covers after the jump. . .
What you need for easy peasy pillow covers
– sewing machine
– sewing pins
– tape measure
How to make these easy peasy pillow covers
1. First you need to cut your fabric. Decide how big your pillow is going to be. For the length you need to cut 2 times the size of the pillow plus 5 inch. For the width you need the size of the pillow plus 1 inch. For example: if you want your final product to be a 15 inch square pillow you need to cut a rectangle of 35 inch (15 + 15 + 5) by 16 inch (15 + 1).
2. Fold over half an inch at the short sides of your rectangle, at the back of the fabric and fold again. Pin this down.
3. Sew the seams close. If you put your needles perpendicular to the way you are sewing you can sew over the needles. I’m not saying you will never break a needle, but it almost never happens to me and it makes sewing so much faster and easier!
4. Lay down your fabric face up and fold over the sides to the middle of the fabric. The piece on top needs to overlap 3 inch of the piece below it. Pin it down and sew the pillow cover shut with 1 inch seam allowance.
5. To stop the fabric from fraying you can do a zigzag stitch on both sides.
6. That’s it! Your easy peasy pillow covers are ready. If you want to you could add some Velcro or buttons as a closure but there really is no need to do that.
I hope you liked this project! XO Wilma