DIY – Inspirational quote sign

DIY - Inspirational quot sign. "Excuse the Mess... The children are making memories." How to make a sign with an inspirational quote for just a few dollars! A very easy technique @ By Wilma

My best friend has always a lot of kids over at her home. She has one of her own and she is babysitting for a living. This makes that her house is never completely tidy. But who cares? The kids should be able to play, don’t they? So when she saw the quote ‘Excuse the mess, the children are making memories’ she decided it had to be on her wall. Of course I had my ideas on how to make the sign. We went to the thrift store and purchased the tabletop of a small table. Perfect for this project because it already had the desired shape! You can make a sign like this for just a few dollars, or with things you already have lying around in your home!

See how I made this inspirational quote sign after the jump. . .

What you need for this DIY quote sign

- a piece of wood or a tabletop
- printer
- paper
- masking tape
- scissors
- computer
- pencil
- chalk
- paint (for the lettering and if you want to for the wood)
- paint brush

How to make this DIY inspirational quote sign

1. Choose a font and the text on your computer. Print it out in the desired size.
2. Cut the words out and put them on your piece of wood. If the size of the text is right you can move on to the next step. Otherwise you have to repeat step one.
3. Draw with chalk on the back of the words. Tape the words down on the wood with masking tape, chalk side down. Now you can trace the letters with a pencil.
4. Remove the paper. You will now have your letters on the wood. Because chalk is so easy to remove it’s best to trace a few words, paint and trace the next few words. Otherwise your letters are long gone before you get to them. The fact that it’s easy to remove can also be a good thing. Because it doesn’t take much work to clean the lines up when you’re done.
5. Now it’s time to paint the letters. I used acrylic paint and a small paintbrush. When the paint is dry you can start whit tracing the next few words, until all the letters are painted on your sign.
6. You’re sign is ready for display!

32 thoughts on “DIY – Inspirational quote sign

1. Pingback: Project Bambino » Friday’s Favorite Five

2. Terra

Do you color all over the back of the paper with chalk and then go over the words on the front to transfer them? I’m a little confused about that part. Thanks for clarifying.

3. DJ

At Terra, I would think you only need to color with the chalk just across the letters where you will be tracing. You don’t need to cover the whole back of the paper.

4. Pingback: July 2012 favorites | By Wilma

5. Pingback: 13 ways to DIY quotes on canvas or wood - uncommon flock

6. Alicia

I would like to do this, but I’m a little confused with the steps. is there a video of someone doing this? someone help please :-)

7. Pingback: DIY - Garden herb markers | By Wilma

8. Pingback: Ideas | Pearltrees

9. Heather

I think what she is saying to do rub the back of the paper with white chalk and then flip it over to trace with the pencil. When you are tracing with the pencil, the chalk will transfer.

10. Courtney J.

I have done this using tracing paper that you use to put a pattern on fabric. I got it in the craft section at Wal-Mart. It came with several different colors so you can choose a color that shows up well on your background. You can actually trace the whole thing this way without having to wait for the paint to dry then paint everything all at one time.

11. Jen

How did you get the letters so big on your computer? what program do you use? I have tried to make big letters but I am not all that computer savy.

1. Wilma Post author

Hello Jen! I just used Word. You can choose a really big size for your fonts in Word. Just double click on the number and enter the size you want.

12. Pingback: 100 Crafts to Go

13. Sara

Do you think this technique would work on canvas too if I used colored chalk??? I want to make something for my mom and this seems like the most simple way to do it!!

14. Celeste Olivares

Hi I really want to do this for my best friends birthday but I don’t know what to do it on. Any ideas as to where I can find this wood or any alternatives ? Thanks (:

15. Sarah

I love this idea!! Great cheap way to make your own personalized signs. Everyone I talked to said they used stencils to make their signs, and I wanted to use a cool font, so this chalk idea worked out great. Thanks for sharing!

16. Pingback: DIY Painted Sign « From The Ash Tree

17. joan Schmittel

What if my sign is white, could I use a dark chalk? Also after you apply the chalk lettering and you are ready to paint on the letters does the paint adhere well over the chalk?

18. Pingback: How to Make Your Own Custom Sign

19. leigh

This is fabulous…..chalk I have….computer i have…what a great idea…thanks so much for sharing!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Beth

Fantastic! I’ve been researching how to do my own scripted signs, but this is such an easy tutorial I will have to try it out in the morning. Thank you!

21. Pingback: 13 ways to DIY quotes on canvas or wood [repost from closed uncommonflock.com] - infinite

22. Lynette

Hi.I am a little confused. Are you tracing each individual letter with chalk or just rubbing the chalk all over the text?