My best friend has always a lot of kids over at her home. She has one of her own and she is babysitting for a living. This makes that her house is never completely tidy. But who cares? The kids should be able to play, don’t they? So when she saw the quote ‘Excuse the mess, the children are making memories’ she decided it had to be on her wall. Of course I had my ideas on how to make the sign. We went to the thrift store and purchased the tabletop of a small table. Perfect for this project because it already had the desired shape! You can make a sign like this for just a few dollars, or with things you already have lying around in your home!
See how I made this inspirational quote sign after the jump. . .
What you need for this DIY quote sign
- a piece of wood or a tabletop
- masking tape
- paint (for the lettering and if you want to for the wood)
- paint brush
How to make this DIY inspirational quote sign
1. Choose a font and the text on your computer. Print it out in the desired size.
2. Cut the words out and put them on your piece of wood. If the size of the text is right you can move on to the next step. Otherwise you have to repeat step one.
3. Draw with chalk on the back of the words. Tape the words down on the wood with masking tape, chalk side down. Now you can trace the letters with a pencil.
4. Remove the paper. You will now have your letters on the wood. Because chalk is so easy to remove it’s best to trace a few words, paint and trace the next few words. Otherwise your letters are long gone before you get to them. The fact that it’s easy to remove can also be a good thing. Because it doesn’t take much work to clean the lines up when you’re done.
5. Now it’s time to paint the letters. I used acrylic paint and a small paintbrush. When the paint is dry you can start whit tracing the next few words, until all the letters are painted on your sign.
6. You’re sign is ready for display!