DIY – Painted bottles

diy painted bottles

Old whiskey bottles are really pretty to see, but I love them even more when they have a little bit of color. These bottle look really cute and they are extremely easy to make. Also, if you have a color scheme in your house and you want matching accessories, you could easily make a few of these pretty bottles in the right color.

Read the instructions after the jump. . .

What you need

- paint
- old bottles

How to make it

Poor a  little bit of paint in to the bottle and gradually swirl the paint inside until the inside is completely covered in paint. Let dry. And that, my friend, is all there is to this extremely easy craft.

32 thoughts on “DIY – Painted bottles

1. Kathy

Hi, I just wanted to let you know how much I LOVE your pinterest project. I think it’s my favorite one of all of them. :)
    If you have an etsy shop, please let me know.
    Thanks for sharing.
    -Kathy from California

1. Wilma Post author

Haha, I really don’t like wiskey, So I’m glad I found these bottles at the thrift store! Love your silver pedestal bowl btw!

2. Kimberly

What type of paint did you use? Is there a specific type you recommend? I ask because I can’t see an acrylic paint on glass being long lasting.

3. Laura

I tried doing this yesterday with some leftover semi gloss enamel but the paint dried all streaky, not totally adhering to the jar. Is the pain the problem?

1. Wilma Post author

It could be the problem. Also, it could be a problem with fluids that have been inside the jar. Put some ammonia inside the jar and swirl that around. After it dries you can paint it. Normally, when the bottles have had alcohol inside, it should be all ready grease free. But if your bottle was a little bit greasy inside the paint doesn’t stick that well.

4. Rose

Those are beautiful. I would love it if you came over today to my Sunday Round UP Party @ http://www.arosiesweethome.com/ you can share these and anything you would like.
    hope to see you there
    Rose
    PS. I’m now following you great blog I hope you like mine and would like to follow me too

1. Wilma Post author

I’ve left some links at your Sunday Round UP Party. Thank you! Great blog you’ve got over there! I am now following you to.

5. Oz

Wilma, I tried these with 3 different paint types with mixed results. The Pebeo glass paint didn’t work on the bottle. It kept on streaking and dripping. The Home Depot Behr just streaked all the way through. I bought some Benjamin Moore and tried on an wine carafe and that dried up without any streaks:-) But my second attempt with the same Benjamin Moore paint on a bottle produced the same streaky results:-( I have no idea how you got yours NOT TO STREAK and have that uniform color throughout. Did you use house paint or did you use artist’s paint and mix your own color?

1. Wilma Post author

Hello Oz, I used normal house paint, no special paint at all. I also painted my nightstands and a chandelier with the same paint. The bottles should be completely clean and fat free before you paint, so that may have caused the different results. The paint I used was from Histor. But I don’t know if that brand is for sale in the USA..

6. Pingback: DIY Painted Bottles | What Else Michelle

7. Pingback: Presentes para o Dia das Mães | Casa de Colorir

8. Beth D.

I tried to do the paint in the bottle craft (which I love the ones you did) They looked great for about 2 days and after that, all the paint ended up in the bottom of the bottle. What did I do wrong? I used plain old craft paint.

1. Wilma Post author

Are you sure your bottles were completely clean from the inside? There shouldn’t be any fat inside, otherwise you paint won’t stick. You could try to put some hot water with vinegar (1 on 1) inside the bottle and let it stand there for some time. Maybe that will help..

9. Debbie

We are using wine bottles cleaned with dish soap and water then completely dried. Our bottles are streaking too. We are using latex paint. Do you set your bottles upright after the paint is applied? Do you need to dry painted bottles in the oven? I could really use your help. I am doing this for my daughter’s upcoming wedding.

10. Kim

We are trying to paint the inside of bottles for my daughter’s wedding in May. The problem is as the paint dries it leaves a crackled and drippy messy look….not what she wants :( What are we doing wrong? We have used acrylic paint and then retried with latex paint…both left bad results. Help! The bride is getting frustrated!

11. Pingback: Mother’s Day DIY |

12. Pingback: Ideas // Día de la Madre | Ceja Güera…

13. Pingback: May DIY Roundup: Mother’s Day Edition | redrunninghood

14. Pingback: Pretty little bottles | wedding decor ideas - Want That Wedding ~ A UK & International Wedding Blog - Want That Wedding

15. kelli becton

Hi! I write for Molly Green Magazine & I love this project of yours. I found you on Pinterest (imagine that) I’m sharing the Pin on the blog but will lead everyone here to get the instructions with a proper link and credit! it’s mollygreen.com – Great Job!

I liked you on Facebook & will try to tag you from the mg page as well!

16. Pingback: A Homestead Christmas: gift ideas for the homesteader - at heart | Econobusters

17. Sherry

Hi, thanks for sharing, I do have a question, do you think if you put Christmas mini lights in the painted jars, that the lights will show up? Also I saw somewhere that you should put the bottles in 175 degree oven for 20 minutes for them to dry – have you done this before – and is it really necessary. If I didn’t want the paint so thick, and kinda want it like a rainbow effect inside the bottle – any suggestions, thanks, Sherry

1. Wilma Post author

Hi Sherry,

I don’t think the lights will show up if you put them into the painted jars. I didn’t bake them and they are still looking good (after 2 years). A rainbow effect can be tricky. You should pour in the paint, just enough to cover the layer you want to be painted in that color, swirl it around and let it dry completely before adding another color. I think I would just do one color every 24 hours.